Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Leather & Lace


What to do? A designer has an idea to layer leather fishnet lace over a silk taffeta in a formal dining room and I am to come up with a design for her client. "No!" was my initial response. I could not think of anyway that that combination, in that setting, would ever be appropriate or attractive. Whatever protesting I did fell on deaf ears.

Three Arch Windows

To further complicate the process, that the Architect saw fit to have a bank of 3 arched windows on one wall. Dressing each arch was not an option as the windows were set too low - to dress each arch would have closed in the room. Simple panels between each window would have solved the problem but the end client thought that that would not have the dramatic look he desired. 

 Morticia Adams

OMG! All I could think was that this dining room was going to look like something out of the Adams Family and THAT is when it hit me. I was designing "Morticia" draperies. The sleek long drape would be made of the Copper Metallic Leather Lace over the Tangerine Taffeta. Black velvet was chosen to add some punch to the mix with a gathered skirting and swagging. 

Button Detail

Other dressmaker details were added to finish off the look. The Window Treatment was mounted on a single Black lacquered rod on rings.  

The Vision Completed


No comments:

Post a Comment